How First United Grew Traffic 72%, increased click through rate 117%, and Raised $7,863 with the Google Ad Grant and Our Help
THE CLIENT AND BACKGROUND
First United is committed at its heart to the struggle for social justice and is a place of welcome for people experiencing homelessness and poverty in Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside.
Established in 1885, today they offer programs of advocacy, housing, healing and hospitality through a community space that supports and celebrates the inherent strengths of all people, of all walks of life.
We took over the Google Ad Grant in the fall of 2015 so 2016 was our first full year of managing their AdWords account and Google Ad Grant.
- Spent: $62,725.23
- Clicks: 35,271
- Impressions: 1,356,913
- Click Through Rate (CTR): 2.60%
- Revenue: $7,863
- Email Signups: 102
- Volunteer Inquiries: 135
- Inbound Inquiries: 124
- Spent: $15,934.29
- Clicks: 8,780
- Impressions: 732,320
- Click Through Rate (CTR): 1.20%
- Traffic (All Sources):
- Revenue: Not tracked
- Email Signups: Not tracked
- Inbound Inquiries: Not tracked
WHAT WE WERE HOPING TO ACHIEVE
First United was looking to build off their great work and reputation in the 'offline' world by building a new website and digital strategy which included increasing the traffic to the (new) site as well as engagement. The eventual and end goal was to increase online funds raised. The biggest hurdle was to establish some goals so we could begin tracking and measuring.
WHAT WE DID AND HOW IT HELPED
The account had not been used a lot before we took it over so we spent some time just updating and cleaning up old or poor ads, keywords, and campaigns. With the new website, we basically rebuilt the entire account as we could now a) tracking conversions - emails, inquiries, and donations and b) create more specific landing pages to point ads to. The new website was the biggest reason we were able to increase the click through rate (CTR) so much as the ads and copy were in sync with the landing pages we were pointing them to. As the CTR improved so did our standing with Google and the ads started to get shown more often and higher up. This lead to more clicks and signups.
For volunteers, we looked at some specific keywords and terms being used in search and worked with the landing pages to use similar copy and keywords to increase our ad relevance. Now, many volunteer focused ads show up 1st or 2nd.
Most of the donations came in during the year end campaign where we focused branded and donation related keywords to the year end campaign.